The Catalan cream dessert is typical from Spain, from Catalonia being more specific. It´s a dessert really well known all over the country and most people would choose it as one of their favourite Spanish desserts.
You may have not heard about crema Catalana until now, but it´s actually the Spanish version of the French creme brûlée which may sound more familiar to you.
👨🍳 Crema Catalana recipe
Many people think the Catalan cream recipe is complicated, but it´s way easier than what you can imagine.
Although learning how to make Catalan cream is a simple process, you will need to keep it for a long time (3/4 hours) at the fridge (Which means you may have to start cooking early in the morning). But we can guarantee you that the wait will be worth it.
🥚 Crema Catalana Ingredients
- 7 beaten eggs
- Half lemons zest and half orange zest
- 1 liter of Milk
- 200 grams of sugar
- 20-30 grams of cornstarch
⏰Catalan Cream cooking & chill time:
- Preparation: 20 mins
- Chill: 3-4 hours
💪 How many calories are in crema catalana:
Other Spanish churros nutrition facts 🍽️
- Total Fat 23g
- Cholesterol 299mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43g
- Protein 7,3g
How to make Catalan Cream 🍳
- 1) Put half of the milk, eggs (Beaten) and cornstarch in a bowl and mix it all together
- 2) In a saucepan place some milk, sugar, cinnamon and the lemon and orange zest and start boiling it
- 3) After 3-5 minutes add the first bowl of eggs and milk on the saucepan
- 4) Strain the mixture and put it back on the pan. Keep it to medium heat for around 7-8 minutes
- 5) Once is creamy and a little bit thicker turn off the heat and serve it in different bowls.
- 6)Let it cool for a few minutes before putting it in the refrigerator for about 3-4 hours
- 7) Last of all, once is done, add some sugar and caramel. Then burn it with a blowtorch
- 8)Your easy crema Catalana recipe is done!
🥧 What is Catalan cream?
What is Crema Catalana?? The Spanish “Crema Catalana” is a sweet dessert from the Catalan region of Spain. Although nowadays is popular all over the country and you can eat it everywhere, in Catalonia is a must.
The key of the Catalonia cream recipe is based on the contrast between the crunchy caramelized layer on the top and the cream at the bottom.
🤔 Difference between crème brûlée and crema catalana
You may have heard before about the Spanish creme brulee, but you should know that it is just a way to call the Catalan cream. The reason why many people use this term is because they believe creme brulee and crema catalana are the same, but they are not! See the differences bellow:
Spanish crema catalana
- Made with vanilla, lemon and orange cest, and cinnamon
- The crema catalana dessert is made with more milk than cream
- Dates back to the 14th century
- The Catalan cream is only served in Spain
French Crème Brûlée
- Flavoured with only vanilla
- Crème brûlée is only made with cream
- Its first appearance is in 1691
- Although the creme brulee is typical from France, it has become popular all over the world
🕵 History of the Catalan Cream dessert
Before telling you all the details about the Crema Catalana history, you should know that in Spain the traditional crema Catalana is known as “Crema de Sant Joseph” and it is served every 19th of March (St Joseph´s day) which it´s also fader´s day.
Where does crema Catalana come from?
The Crema Catalana origin comes from different theories and legends. On one side, it is said that the nuns of a convent where preparing a flan for the visit of an important bishop, but this one turned to be liquid, so the nuns pour some sugar to it and left the spoons ready like if they were actually trying to do a cream.
On the other hand, the more realistic story comes from England and it is said that the Spanish crema Catalana is inspired on the Creme Anglaise which is also known as burned cream.
The first recipe of the Catalan cream is found at the Llibre de Sent Soví from the XIV century.
🍦 Crema Catalana ice cream
This Catalan dessert has become really popular, which in hands of the best chefs and experts lead to try different variations.
The most popular one was mixing it with ice cream. As most of the people love ice cream someone once decided that mixing the hot Catalan cream with cold vanilla ice cream was a great idea and he/she was right. Now in many restaurants the Catalan cream is served with ice cream on a side.
😋 Where to eat Crema Catalana
Believe it or not you will find the Catalan dessert everywhere in Spain. In some areas they even call it «the Spanish cream dessert». But of course, we all know that the best place to try the Catalan Cream is Catalonia, being more specific in Barcelona.
It is said that you will find the best crema catalana in Barcelona at Bar del Pla, but you can try different restaurants and if you find a special please share it with us!
🤑 Crema Catalana price
It is true that the Catalan cream dessert is a speciality in Spain. It´s delicious and unique from the country, but that does not mean it´s extremely expensive as many people think.
The Catalan Cream price depends on the area where you eat it. If you are eating at one of the best crema Catalana places in Barcelona the price will be way higher than in a random place at a random street of Catalonia.
Generally, the price will be between 1,5€ and 4€ which is almost the same as the rest of the desserts.
⭐ Enjoy one of the best Catalan desserts
That´s all you need to know about the Catalan Creme dessert, which is for sure one of the best Catalan desserts! Hope you enjoyed learning how to make it, and if you have any question, let us know!!