Other than a load of bread, if there is something that can be found in every Spanish meal, that is a Spanish mixed green salad, or how they prefer to call it, “Ensalada Mixta”. No matter if you go to a restaurant or if you are eating at home, sharing a big plate of green mixed salad on the center of the table, with all the family or friends, is more than common in Spain.
This plate is known to be the polyvalent dish as it can be cooked either for lunch or for dinner. It´s main purpose is to make something quick and healthy when you don´t have much time to cook. Plus, the results are very tasty!
Today we will be telling you the recipe and all you need to know about the classic Spanish mixed green salad:
👨🍳 How to make mixed green salad?
Let´s start learning the best recipe for “Ensalada mixta”, you will see that it won´t take you more than 5 minutes.
Ensalada Mixta ingredients
These are the obligatory ingredients:
- 1 head of Iceberg or romaine lettuce (You can also use other types of lettuce)
- 2 Tomatoes (If you choose small tomatoes, then increase the number)
- Extra virgin olive oil all over the plate (Don´t be shy)
- Sherry Vinegar
- Salt (It´s up to your taste)
Other possible ingredients (Choose your favorites)
- 1 Carrot
- 2-3 boiled eggs
- 1 can of corn
- We really recommend one raw onion
- 1 can of white asparagus
- A can of tuna or anchovies
- Half can of olives (with or without the pits)
⏰Magdalenas cooking time:
- 60 mins
💪 Mixed green salad calories:
Other Mixed green salad nutrition facts 🍽️
- Total Fat 12g
- Protein 15g
- Total Carbohydrate 20g
Spanish ensalada mixta recipe 🍳
- (As you have seen there are many “possible” ingredients, so depending on which one you choose, the process will be very different)
- 1) If you decide to use boiled eggs (very recommended), then start your salad by boiling them for 10 minutes. Then let them cool for some minutes.
- 2) While the eggs are boiling, you can go ahead and wash and dry all the fresh vegetables or fruits.
- 3) Chopp the vegetables into small pieces, cut the tomatoes and the onion in slices, grate the carrot and open and drain all the cans you have (olives, asparagus, corn, anchovies…)
- 4) Add all the ingredients to a large plate.
- 5) Peel the eggs, cut them and place them with the rest of the ingredients.
- 6) Your last step (and most important) is to spread the olive oil, vinegar and the salt through all the food. Now you can mix them all together and your “ensalada mixta” will be done.
The best Spanish mixed green salad doesn´t exist!
Probably many of you wonder which is the best combination of all, and before you cook your salad, we have to let you know that none of them is considered the best one as it really depends on your taste. The “ensalada mixta” is cooked in a very different way in each Spanish family.
We recommend you cooking them many times until you find out which one is your favorite.
Oh, and don´t worry if you don´t have an ingredient, or if you want to add something else to it, just keep the essence of making a fresh salad with some of those foods. If you don´t forget the olive oil and the salt, you will be good to go.
Enjoy the classic ensalada mixta!
That´s it! That´s all you need to know about the famous Spanish mixed green salad. As you have seen is probably the easiest spanish food to make and literally takes less than 10 minutes.
We really recommend you making it for the summer as eating those fresh foods will make you feel very good during the hot days of July and August.
Hope you have enjoyed reading our recipe of one of the most important salads in Spain, and if you have any other question or suggestion, please let us know!