Fried eggplant is eaten in many countries, it´s a typical dish for vegetarian people, but it´s also common in many other diets as it´s very healthy. Although fried eggplant is a worldwide meal, depending on the country you will find different specialties and ways of making it. In Spain they also have their own way of cooking it, below you will find how to cook Spanish eggplant:
Spanish Fried eggplant with honey
The fried eggplant with honey is a traditional dish from the south of Spain. It can be eaten as a starter or also as a tapa. It is very common to see it in Andalusia, more specific, in Seville is where you will find it the most. It´s sweet and salty and in Spain is called “Berenjenas fritas con miel”
Fried eggplant with honey recipe
The traditional Spanish eggplant is very easy to make, and it just takes between 40minutes and an hour to have it ready.
Spanish eggplant ingredients:
- Between 2-4 small eggplants
- 3 cups of Milk or water
- (3/4 cup) Flour
- (1/2 cup) Olive Oil
How to make Spanish eggplant:
- Cut the eggplant in round and not too thin slices
- In a medium/ large bowl, place about 3 or 4 cups of either milk or water and add salt to it.
- Place the eggplant slices to the bowl and wait around 20/30 minutes until it soaks
- Let the eggplant dry and cover them with flour, add more salt or pepper (optional)
- Place a big amount of olive oil in a pan, and make sure it´s hot enough before putting the eggplants. Fry them.
- Last of all, drain the eggplant and add some honey to it.
Ready to serve. Enjoy it!!
Other Types of Spanish eggplant dishes
Now you know how to cook the traditional Spanish eggplant with honey, but there is way more types of eggplant dishes. There is a huge variety of eggplants, not just as a vegetable, which by the way you can find more than 10 types…But also as a meal.
Spanish Eggplant with egg
One of the most famous plates is the eggplant with eggs, it is very good and to make it you will just need about 40 minutes and a few ingredients:
- Between 1-4 eggplants
- 1 medium size onion
- 1-2 medium tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 2 eggs
- Salt, garlic and pepper
- Olive oil
Eggplant with egg recipe
- Bake the eggplants for 25/30 minutes
- Peel the eggplants and flat them with a spoon
- Cut in small pieces the onions, tomatoes and red pepper
- Mix them all together with eggs and add salt, pepper and garlic
- Shake the mixture
- Place the eggplant on the mixture until it soaks
- Fry it on a pan with oil until the eggplant has a Brown look.
Eggplant with pasta dish
Other than making specialties and varieties of the eggplant, you can also take the chance and cook dishes that contain eggplants. An example of it is the eggplant with pasta:
Spanish Eggplant pasta ingredients
- 1 eggplant cut in small blocks
- 1/4 olive oil cup
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves
- Pasta (the type you prefer)
- Tomato sauce
Eggplant pasta recipe
- Cook the garlic with olive oil on a pan for 1-3 minutes
- Then cook the eggplant on the pan until is soft for 4-6 minutes
- Place the tomato sauce on the pan, and wait about 20 minutes
- Make your preferred type of Pasta (Spaghetti, rigatoni…)
- Once is dry and ready, pour the sauce over the pasta and enjoy it!
Best Spanish eggplant dishes
These are just some of the most popular and delicious eggplant dishes, we recommend you to be creative with the eggplants. Hope you have enjoyed learning how to cook Spanish eggplant, and in case you want us to share any other eggplant recipe, let us know. Enjoy it!